What is FIRAZYR used for?
FIRAZYR is used to treat acute attacks of hereditary angioedema (HAE) in:
- adolescents, and
- children aged 2 years and older
with a deficiency of a protein called C1-esterase inhibitor.
There is limited experience with the use of FIRAZYR in the treatment of:
- children under 6 years of age
- laryngeal HAE attacks in adolescents and children
On-demand therapy refers to the treatment of acute attacks.
- Attacks should be treated as early as possible.
- You should have treatment for 2 attacks and should carry treatment at all times, regardless of where you are (home, work, doing leisure activities, etc.).
- If you or your child have a laryngeal HAE attack, inject FIRAZYR and go to the nearest hospital emergency room for medical help right away.
How does FIRAZYR work?
Type I HAE and Type II HAE are caused by a defect (mutation) in the gene responsible for producing the protein C1-esterase inhibitor (C1-INH). Unlike other hereditary diseases, the healthy gene cannot compensate for the defect in the other gene in patients with HAE.
Low levels of
Increased levels of
Low levels of C1-INH may increase a naturally occurring hormone called bradykinin.
If bradykinin levels are increased, fluids can pass through the vessel walls into the surrounding tissue causing the local swelling of an HAE attack.
FIRAZYR blocks the activity of bradykinin. This stops the symptoms of an HAE attack from getting worse.
Blocks the activity of
Non-medicinal ingredients: acetic acid glacial, sodium chloride, sodium hydroxide, and water for injection
- Store at 2-25°C
- Do not freeze
- Store FIRAZYR in the original carton until you are ready to use it
- Keep out of reach and sight of children